16 July 2019 | 17:55
Public Heath England (PHE) issues advice to people travelling to Egypt
PHE has issued advice to people travelling to Egypt after a number of people, including children, have returned with a serious illness caused by E. coli infection.
PHE recommends travellers to the region to:
- where possible, avoid eating salads and uncooked vegetables
- only eat fruit they can peel
- avoid unpasteurised milk, cheese and ice cream
- avoid food that has been left uncovered in warm environments and exposed to flies
- ensure all meat is cooked thoroughly before you eat it, avoiding any meat that is pink or cold
- avoid ice, unless made with filtered or bottled water, and tap water, even when brushing teeth
- only drink bottled water or use ice made from bottled/filtered water
- wash your hands thoroughly after visiting the toilet, and always before preparing or eating food. Alcohol gel can be helpful (but not entirely effective) when hand washing facilities are not available
- when swimming, try and avoid swallowing water where possible and supervise children when swimming.
- don’t swim whilst ill
You can find more information by clicking on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-issues-advice-to-people-travelling-to-egypt
You can also read more about staying healthy while travelling here.